London Twestival will take place at the Cable Club -33a Bermondsey St Tunnel SE1 3JW London
What is it?
A bit of a party….well they say:
“On Thursday 25 March 2010, people in hundreds of cities around the world will come together offline to rally around the important cause of Education by hosting local events to have fun and create awareness.” Abit of a party
Why take part?
This year’s supported charity is Concern Worldwide, an international humanitarian organisation dedicated to reducing suffering and ending extreme poverty.
The organisation has been running for more than 40 years, but while in the UK we are privileged enough to enjoy free education, the below statistics from Concern Worldwide highlight why plenty of challenges still remain.
· At least 72 million children around the world are not enrolled in school
· More than one in ten children in the developing world never even gets the chance to go to school
· 55 per cent of out-of-school children are girls, yet with just seven years of schooling, girls tend to marry later and have less children
· An extra year of primary education raises a girl’s lifetime wages by between 10-20 per cent
· There are more than 218 million child labourers in the world, many of whom get just one or two hours of education each week
Find out more at http://london.twestival.com/
Claire at www.wavespr.com/ is doing a great job helping to promote it.